Knox County Tennessee

Refrigerant Containing Devices

Refrigerant Containing Devices

Devices that contained refrigerant are not accepted at Convenience Centers. Common household appliances that contain Freon or other chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) or hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs) are refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, ice makers, wine coolers, and water coolers. These CFCs and HCFCs are highly regulated. There are federal rules about handling, evacuation, and processing of the refrigerant that prevent the County from accepting these devices from center users. There are generally three options for getting rid of refrigerant containing device. Those options are listed below.

1.) Scrap Metal Companies (sell for scrap value)

Deliver it to a scrap metal company that may buy it for scrap value. The Scrap metal company may deduct a fee for the proper disposal of the refrigerant from the value of the device. There could be a charge if the device is small or has little or no metal value.

SA Recycling (scrap metal)
2826 N Central St · (865) 524-2791
5205 N National Dr · (865) 637-0911
1202 Maryville Pike · (865) 579-9389

2.) City Transfer Station (paid disposal)

Deliver and pay to dispose of it at the City of Knoxville Transfer Station at 1033 Elm Street. There will be a small fee to drop off the item. You should call 215-6700 ahead of time to confirm hours of operation and amount of fees.

City of Knoxville Solid Waste Facility (transfer Station)
1033 Elm St, Knoxville, TN 37921

3.) Waste or Junk Clean-out Companies

Individuals wishing for a higher level of service may want to contact commercial waste cleanout companies that will charge to come, retrieve, and take items for proper disposal.