County Convenience Centers are open normal hours but we are struggling to manage the record amounts of waste being delivered due to increased residential waste from the COVID outbreak. Our primary focus is to remain open to accept bagged household garbage because safe sanitary disposal of bagged household waste is essential to human health and welfare. Please assist us by not bringing your waste on Fridays, Saturdays, and Mondays. Rather, if your schedule allows, bring your waste on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays because these days are less busy. Please also minimize the amount of bulky waste your bring or consider using paid disposal facilities because bulky loads take a long time to unload. Also, for your own safety, and in order to minimize the risk of infection please keep a physical distance from other users and our employees. Wearing masks is strongly encouraged. Our permit requires us to close the gates according to our operational hours and earlier if our waste containers are full. To avoid being turned away please come to the Center earlier in the day and no later than 30 minutes before closing time. Center gates close promptly at published closing times and users not already in the gate will be told to come back the next day.
Knox County Solid Waste:
Solid Waste Knox County Solid Waste operates in four (4) primary functional areas listed here. For more information feel free to contact us at any time using the department email box at the side of the page.
- Operating seven (7) drop off waste facilities throughout Knox County called Convenience Centers where residents bring their household trash, bulky items, and other recyclables for proper disposal.
- Operating a roadside litter and dumping pickup program to remove litter from the sides of Knox County roads using a combination of paid and volunteer labor.
- Managing a waste tire disposal program using State of Tennessee designated tire funds collected from the point of sale of new tires.
- Performing outreach and education in advance of the Solid Waste Department’s three (3) primary functional areas as well as educating residents on services available from the private sector and other information related to problem or Household Hazardous Waste (HHW), waste reduction, reuse, or recycling initiatives.
Knox County Convenience Centers:
Convenience Centers are self-service household waste and recycling drop-off facilities. There are no fees to use them but there are things that are not accepted and limits to the amount of waste someone can bring. Click HERE to download a brochure.
County Convenience Center Normal Hours
Monday- Friday, 8 a.m.- 6 p.m. (landfills close at 3 p.m., Centers may close if contains are full)
Saturdays, 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. (landfills close at noon, center may close if containers are full)
Sundays -Always Closed
Centers Holiday & Planned Closure Schedule
Centers close early when waste containers fill up, during inclement weather, and during power outages. The Solid Waste Office voicemail message found at 865-215-5865 will be updated whenever possible with planned and unplanned closure information.
- Convenience Center Brochure PDF
- Centers General Information
- Centers Bulky and DIY Demolition Collection
- Center Locations Map
- Convenience Center Policies
Other Useful Waste Web Pages
- Litter Program (report litter, adopt roads, litter education)
- Tire Program (tire dumps, tire retailers, tire disposal)
- Household Hazardous Waste (chemicals you want safely dispose)
- Greenwaste, Leaves, Brush
- Electronic Waste & TVs
- Landfills, Paid Disposal, and Waste or Recycling Companies
- Fluorescent Bulbs
- Paint Disposal