Knox County Solid Waste:
Solid Waste Knox County Solid Waste operates in four (4) primary functional areas listed here. For more information feel free to contact us at any time using the department email box at the side of the page.
- Operating seven (7) drop off waste facilities throughout Knox County called Convenience Centers where residents bring their household trash, bulky items, and other recyclables for proper disposal.
- Operating a roadside litter and dumping pickup program to remove litter from the sides of Knox County roads using a combination of paid and volunteer labor.
- Managing a waste tire disposal program using State of Tennessee designated tire funds collected from the point of sale of new tires.
- Performing outreach and education in advance of the Solid Waste Department’s three (3) primary functional areas as well as educating residents on services available from the private sector and other information related to problem or Household Hazardous Waste (HHW), waste reduction, reuse, or recycling initiatives.
Knox County Convenience Centers:
Convenience Centers are self-service household waste and recycling drop-off facilities. There are no fees to use them but there are things that are not accepted and limits to the amount of waste someone can bring. Click HERE to download a brochure.
County Convenience Center Normal Hours
Monday- Friday, 8 a.m.- 6 p.m. (landfills close at 3 p.m., Centers may close if contains are full)
Saturdays, 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. (landfills close at noon, center may close if containers are full)
Sundays -Always Closed
Centers Holiday & Planned Closure Schedule
Centers close early when waste containers fill up, during inclement weather, and during power outages. The Solid Waste Office voicemail message found at 865-215-5865 will be updated whenever possible with planned and unplanned closure information.
- Convenience Center Brochure PDF
- Centers General Information
- Centers Bulky and DIY Demolition Collection
- Center Locations Map
- Convenience Center Policies
Other Useful Waste Web Pages
- Litter Program (report litter, adopt roads, litter education)
- Tire Program (tire dumps, tire retailers, tire disposal)
- Household Hazardous Waste (chemicals you want safely dispose)
- Greenwaste, Leaves, Brush
- Electronic Waste & TVs
- Landfills, Paid Disposal, and Waste or Recycling Companies
- Fluorescent Bulbs
- Paint Disposal