Knox County Tennessee

Right of Way

Agencies or companies desiring to work in Knox County Right of Way must obtain a permit from the Knox County Engineering & Public Works Department prior to the desired work date. Applications for roadway construction and modification may be faxed or emailed to Aaron Fritts ( Applications for utilities related work may be faxed or emailed to Chris Sivyer (, but must be followed by hard copy. No work will commence without written approval of the Director, Knox County Engineering & Public Works or a designated representative.  Permits will be evaluated and returned in no less than 3 working days. Knox County will attempt to arrange a joint on-site meeting the first working day after receiving the application. If the joint meeting is delayed, approval of the permit will be delayed accordingly.

All agencies that routinely perform work in the non-traveled-way portion of the right-of way may apply for and receive an annual permit prior to beginning any work. Annual permits will be renewed on January 5th of each year. Permits are required for belowground and aboveground work.

Any time work is performed on or adjacent to any road in Knox County, safety will be the primary consideration. Safety considerations will extend to the travelling public, local bystanders, and work crews. Work crews will strictly adhere to the Work Zone Safety portion of the most current version of the MUTCD and TDOT’s Pavement Edge Drop-Off Policy. Any crew failing to meet these criteria will have their permits revoked immediately until such time as discrepancies are rectified. 

Blank permit applications may be obtained from the Department office, at 205 W. Baxter Ave., Knoxville or as attached here.

Detailed requirements and policies for installation and repair in Knox County Right of Way can be found here.

Get Connected
  • twitter
  • rss
  • email

& Public Works

205 West Baxter Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37917

Phone: 865-215-5800
Fax: 865-215-5810

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Department Email

For all emergency requests, such as trees blocking the road, icy roads, stop signs down, large dead animals in the road, or traffic lights not working properly, please call 215-5800.