- For assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Phone consultations available by calling 865-215-5120
Parents as Teachers, a Knox County Health Department program, is a prenatal to Kindergarten program that helps parents know how to be their child’s first and most influential teacher. This evidence-based home visiting model is designed to ensure young children are healthy, safe and ready to learn.
In 2018, the Parents as Teachers program earned the National Center’s prestigious endorsement as a Blue-Ribbon Affiliate, making it one of the top-performing home visiting affiliates within the international Parents as Teachers network..
The Parents as Teachers national mission is to empower, support and encourage parents as their child’s first and most influential teacher, in order that their children may have the optimal opportunity to succeed in school and in life. The national vision is that all children will learn, grow and develop to realize their full potential.
The Parents as Teachers model has four dynamic components, each closely interrelated and integrated personal visits, group meetings, child screenings and a resource network. Together, these four components create a cohesive package of services with four primary goals:
- Increase parent knowledge of early childhood development and improve parenting practices.
- Provide early detection of developmental delays and health issues.
- Prevent child abuse and neglect.
- Increase children’s school readiness and school success.