Knox County Tennessee

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the mailing address?

400 Main St, Suite 225, Knoxville TN 37902

Hours of Operation:

Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm.

Is there a fee for recording my document?

Yes. Please refer to the Fee Schedule.

What methods of payment do you accept?

Cash, check, major credit cards, Escrow Acct

How do I set up an Escrow account?

An Escrow account can be set up by filling out our form and a check for $100.00.

  • This account can be accessed for both copies and recording
  • No cash can be withdrawn—withdrawls done by check only
  • Draws are for Register’s office business only (no other government department)
  • Monthly account statements will be mailed

What are the most common types of documents recorded in Knox County?

  • Mortgages (Including Trustee’s Deeds, Substitute Trustee Deeds)
  • Quit Claim Deeds
  • Deeds of Trust
  • Power of Attorney Docs
  • Trust Documents
  • Corporate Docs
  • Assignments and Releases
  • Liens
  • Fixture Filings/UCC Filings
  • Military Discharge
  • Notice of Completion

Can your office help me prepare my documents?

No, nor can we give you any legal advice regarding the preparation of your documents. We strongly suggest that you consult a Title Insurance company or a Title Attorney for any transfer of ownership documents. This will help insure that documents are prepared correctly and contain the complete and correct information.

Can I record my Last Will and Testament with your office?

No. We do accept wills from out of state or certified copies from other county Register’s offices. Wills are normally filed in the Probate office, not the Register of Deeds’ office.

I only have a copy of the document; can I record this?

The ONLY copies that can be recorded are certified copy from a court. All certified copies must have a signature and seal of the court. All other documents must be originals.

Can you provide me with a survey of my property or building plans?

No. These are not recorded documents. However, we do record plats of subdivisions which will provide you with lot size and any set back or easements at the time of recording.

I paid off my house, when will I get the title?

The document which shows you own your property is called a Deed. This should have been given to you at the time of purchase. We do not retain original documents. If you need a copy, we can make a copy from our records. A Release of Lien is filed in this office by the mortgage company upon payment in full. They may or may not provide you with a copy of the release. If you don’t receive the release, a copy is available through our office.

Can you tell me who owns a piece of property, what the cost for a piece of property was or if there are any liens against a piece of property?

Computers are available in our office for public use and our staff is available to help with navigation through the system. We do not perform title searches and can offer only the information that we can access without performing a title search. You can also visit the following website to view this information:

How can I obtain a copy of my deed or other document pertaining to my property?

Copies of your documents can be obtained either in person or by mail. Please follow this link to have a copy of your deed mailed to you. You can also visit the following website to view your documents:

Get Connected
  • twitter
  • rss

Register of Deeds

City County Building
400 Main Street
Suite 225
Knoxville, TN 37902

Phone: 865-215-2330
Fax: 865-215-2332

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Don't be a victim of property fraud!

Learn More

Sign up