A collaborative effort between the Knox County Health Department (KCHD) and Coordinated School Health, the Youth Health Board serves as a forum for young people to affect the well-being of our community through programs, volunteer activities and health-related projects.
This youth-driven group provides opportunities for the students to partner with health professionals from KCHD and other community groups to explore and take action on a variety of issues. The members are selected from an applicant pool of high school students who demonstrate strong leadership skills, a commitment to the community and an interest in health-related topics.
Youth Health Board members are responsible for serving a one-year term (July - April), participating in service activities and attending monthly meetings.
Past activities of YHB include:
- Participating in a Work Day at Beardsley Farm;
- Collecting coats for Coats for the Cold;
- Touring the East Tennessee Children's Hospital NICU neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS) Unit;
- Helping with health and wellness activities at various elementary schools in Knox County;
- Sorting gifts for the Angel Tree; and
- Planning and implementing an event for Kick Butts Day where youth stand up against tobacco use.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE FOR THE 2018/2019 SCHOOL YEAR.
Click here to download the packet.
For more information, please contact Kerri Thompson at 865-215-5445 or email@example.com.
Click here to download the 2018 YHB brochure.