7/15 Rules Committee Info

Welcome!

7/15 Rules Committee Info

Postby Larsen Jay on Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:10 pm

Rules Committee Members,

Preparing for today's Rules Committee Meeting, I will be bringing the following items to the meeting for review and consideration:

(2 items from last meeting we didn't get to)

RULE V. COMMITTEES
NEW RULE PROPOSAL #1

All Committees of the Knox County Commission shall meet at least one (1) time per year. Committee Chairs must submit at least one (1) written report to the Commission Chair summarizing the work of the Committee, minutes, agendas, proposals and relevant information. This annual Committee report shall be turned into the Chair and Commission office no later than August 1st of each calendar year and made public in an appropriate archived form.

RULE V. COMMITTEES
NEW RULE PROPOSAL #2

Commission must review all Committees at its August meeting and determine its effectiveness and value to the Commission and community at-large. At the August Commission meeting, the Commission shall decide to keep or eliminate the Committee for the following year.

REMOVAL OF COMMITTEE MEMBERS

In relation to the proposed language on "Removal of Committee Members" as sent to the Rules Committee by Jill Rosberg (July 8, 2019)...language provided in that proclamation refers to making decisions based upon showing "good cause" yet it never defines what "good cause" consists of.

I have asked for some more clarification, but haven't received anything just yet from Jill or David, perhaps they'll come to the meeting with some.

I believe we should include several examples. This will at least outline some agreed-upon examples that will help define, but not limit, actionable determination of "good cause." The Law Dept. can help us word it appropriately, but I think something like the following would suffice:

"Good cause" may be items such as, but not limited to, the following:

- Negligence
- Mental or physical unfitness
- Conflict of interest
- Crimes of moral turpitude
- Criminal behavior
- Corruption
- Incompetence

See you at 4pm. I'll bring copies of this with me.

Thanks,

Larsen.

Larsen Jay
Knox County Commissioner
At-Large / Seat 10
P.O. Box 52331
Knoxville, TN 37950
(865) 224-3736 c
larsen.jay@knoxcounty.org
Larsen Jay

Return to Knox County Commission Forum