Legislative Priorities - State Issues

Welcome!

Legislative Priorities - State Issues

Postby John Schoonmaker on Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Here are some of the 2019 Legislative Agenda Priorities to consider for the meeting with the Knox County Legislative Delegation in January.

Register of Deeds - Restore the entire 5% commission for the register of deeds office. In 2006, it was reduced to 2.4%.
Sales Tax Administration Fee - Reduction from the current fee of 1.125% to 0.05% for the return of our local option sales tax from the Dept. of Revenue.
Corrections - Subsidies for housing state prisoners in county jail. State subsidies must be paid to the county from the date of conviction regardless of whether the prisoner is housed under a contract with the Dept. of Corrections. Current law mandates counties are paid at point of sentencing, which can be several months after the date of conviction.
Auto Liability Insurance - Raising the required minimum liability insurance for property damage from $15,000. to $25,000. per accident. This will reduce associated losses to the county from vehicle accidents when a county owned vehicle is not at fault.

Please let me know if there are additional state issues we need to address with our legislators.

John Schoonmaker
John Schoonmaker

Re: Legislative Priorities - State Issues

Postby Randy Smith on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:19 am

We need to ask our legislators to make sure the internet sales tax collection includes local sales tax and is distributed to back to the County .
Randy Smith

Re: Legislative Priorities - State Issues

Postby John Schoonmaker on Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:15 pm

Commissioner Smith,

Excellent suggestion. I believe the Legislature will first deal with the Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Agreement (SSUTA). Twenty three states are full members, while Tennessee is the only associate member. It is my understanding TN will have to make a decision to upgrade to a full member status this next year. The TN Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations had a meeting this week and was gave an update on this tax issue.

John
John Schoonmaker

Return to Knox County Commission Forum