These instructions are intended for the County agencies which use Records Management's services. Records must be properly boxed according to instructions below. Records Management reserves the right to not accept any records which are not properly boxed. In addition, a transfer sheet must accompany any records sent to the Records Department.
Please use only 15x12x10 standard storage boxes. Boxes this size fit uniformly on our shelving units. DO NOT use long banker’s boxes, copy paper boxes, or other such containers.Finished Box
If you need vendors who provide these boxes, please contact us at Records Management. Please do not use Office Depot boxes. They are cheaply constructed and do not hold up.
- Please do not mix record series in the same box. A record series is a group of identical records. Please do not lable any boxes Miscellaneous.
- Please do not box and attempt to transfer non-record materials such as unused file folders, blank forms, old magazines and books, instruction manuals, etc.
- Please do not over fill boxes.
Please do not label box on the top or the sides, but rather on the box front.
The box front is considered either of the sides that has the handle part. Pleaselabel the boxes with a sharpie, magic marker, or Avery label. Please do not attempt to tape paper to boxes since these can come off.
- Number boxes in sequential order
It is preferable that records are placed in box from left to right if they are legal size files.Click here to see box example
- Please mark the retention period on the boxes. I.e. 3 years, 5 years, etc.
- Please include a transfer sheet with each set of records to be transferred. See information below.
- Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions, please call 215-5656.
Transfer Form Instructions
Download a copy of the Transfer Form. If you experience difficulty in downloading or opening the transfer form file, call Records Management at 865-215-5656 and a copy of the form will be faxed or delivered to you.Click here to see an example transfer form
- Enter your department's name.
- Enter the name of the individual who has responsibility for the records transfer. Please include a phone number and the current date.
- Include a brief description or name of the records which are in each box.
- Enter the year or year range of the records which are in each box.
- Enter the retention period. I.e. 3 year, 5 year, etc.
- Enter theLegal Authority that provides thejustification for the retention period. This may be the County Technical Assistance Services Manual, the Knox County Retention Schedule, a State RDA or some other authority. Please contact the Records Management Department if you have any questions about this.
- Records Management staff will sign off on the transfer after it has been checked for accuracy. Email completed form to here or fax it to our fax number below.